One-Pot Turkey Skillet Pie
This may become the new most-requested recipe in your house: Cheddar-buttermilk biscuits are dropped and baked over turkey chili for a guaranteed hit. The recipe comes from Martha's book "One Pot: 120+ Easy Meals from Your Skillet, Slow Cooker, Stockpot, and More."
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Photography: Christina Holmes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey, preferably dark meat
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese (6 ounces)
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
In a large, heavy ovenproof skillet, heat oil over medium-high. Add bell pepper, onion, and mushrooms. Cook, stirring, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add turkey, tomato paste, and chili powder to skillet. Cook, stirring, until meat is no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Add tomatoes (with liquid); cook until some of the liquid has reduced, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry cutter or two knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in buttermilk and cheddar just until incorporated. Divide batter into 9" pieces, and place on top of turkey mixture. Bake until biscuits are golden brown, about 20 minutes.