Arroz Con Pollo
This recipe comes from Martha's latest book "One Pot: 120+ Easy Meals from Your Skillet, Slow Cooker, Stockpot, and More."
- Servings: 4
Photography: Bryan Gardner
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs (about 6 ounces each)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cups short-grain rice, preferably Valencia
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth, plus more if needed
- 1 cup pimiento-stuffed green olives, drained
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a bowl, combine wine and saffron.
Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven or braiser, heat oil over medium-high. Add chicken, skin side down; cook until browned, 6 to 7 minutes. Flip and cook 2 minutes more; transfer to a plate.
Drain all but 2 tablespoons fat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring often, until translucent, 4 minutes. Add tomato and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in wine-saffron mixture, bay leaves, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cook until wine is nearly evaporated, 5 to 8 minutes.
Stir in rice, broth, and olives. Nestle chicken into rice, skin side up. Bring to a simmer, cover, and transfer to oven. Cook until liquid is absorbed and chicken is cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.