- Total Time:
- Servings: 12
Photography: Lennart Weibull
- 3 1/2 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 10)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons safflower oil
- 3 poblano chiles, ribs and seeds removed, chopped (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 3 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon lightly packed finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cans (15.5 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Cilantro sprigs, for serving
- Salsa fresca (from Salsa Fresca Salad), for serving
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add half of chicken, skin-side down. Cook, turning once, until both sides are golden brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining chicken.
Carefully remove and discard all but 2 tablespoons fat from pot; reduce heat to medium. Add chiles, onion, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally and scraping browned bits from bottom of pot, until onion is softened and golden in spots, about 5 minutes. Add oregano and chili powder. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Return chicken with accumulated juices to pot, along with broth and 4 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until a thermometer inserted into thickest part of thighs (without touching bone) registers 165 degrees, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate; let stand until cool enough to handle.
Meanwhile, mash half of beans to a paste in a bowl with a potato masher. Stir mashed beans into pot with remaining whole beans. Increase heat to medium and bring to a simmer. Simmer, uncovered, until liquid has thickened slightly, about 10 minutes.
Remove and discard chicken skins and bones. Pull meat into bite-size shreds and stir into stew. Simmer until heated through, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to low to keep warm until ready to serve. Serve with lime wedges, cilantro sprigs, and salsa fresca.