Kale Caesar Salad
- Servings: 6
Photography: Bryan Gardner
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, divided
- 1 (1/2 pound) loaf brioche bread, crusts removed, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 anchovy fillets, preferably salt-cured, soaked if salted; or 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1/3 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for garnish, if desired
- 3 heads Tuscan kale, washed, dried, stems removed, leaves cut into 1/4-inch strips
Croutons: In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil and 1 teaspoon butter over medium heat. Working in batches, add one-third of the bread cubes, one-third of the salt, and one-third of the pepper; toss to coat. Cook until golden. Remove from skillet and set aside. Repeat process twice with remaining oil, butter, bread, salt, and pepper.
Salad: Place the garlic, anchovy fillets, salt, and pepper in a large wooden salad bowl. Using two dinner forks or a muddler, mash to form a paste. Using one fork, whisk in lemon juice, mustard, and egg yolk. While whisking, drizzle in olive oil and continue to whisk until emulsified. Add 1/2 cup grated cheese; set aside.
Add kale to bowl along with croutons and toss well. If desired, garnish with additional cheese. Serve immediately.