Escarole and Bean Soup
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Linda Pugliese
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- Pinch of red-pepper flakes, plus more for serving
- 1 small head escarole, leaves torn into 2-inch pieces (about 12 cups)
- Coarse salt
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Toasted bread, for serving
- Lemon wedges, for serving
Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat; swirl in oil. Add garlic and red-pepper flakes and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add escarole, toss to coat, and season with salt. Cook until escarole is just wilted, about 2 minutes.
Add kidney beans, chickpeas, broth, and 2 cups water and bring to a simmer. Cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Season with salt; remove garlic. Top with toasted bread and red-pepper flakes. Serve immediately, with lemon wedges.