Warm Quinoa and Chicken Salad
Quick-cooking quinoa is a nutritional powerhouse, packed with protein, iron, and fiber. It is also the foundation for a main-course salad with chicken and springy vegetables. This recipe comes from our book "One Pot."
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Christina Holmes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for serving
- 4 scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, halved
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high. Add scallion whites; cook, stirring constantly, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add quinoa, chicken, lemon zest, and the water; bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook 11 minutes. Add asparagus and peas, cover, and cook until liquid is absorbed and vegetables are tender, 4 to 5 minutes more.
Remove from heat, and let stand 10 minutes. Shred chicken and fluff quinoa. Add lemon juice and parsley, and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with scallion greens and drizzle with oil.