Pasta With Zucchini, Mint, and Pecorino
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Bryan Gardner
Source: Martha Stewart Living
- 12 ounces short curly pasta, such as gemelli or fusilli
- Coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 3 anchovy fillets, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 2 pounds zucchini (about 5 small), shredded with a box grater
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes, plus more for serving
- 2/3 cup finely grated Pecorino Romano, plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh mint leaves, chopped, plus more whole leaves for serving
Cook pasta in a large pot of generously salted boiling water until al dente. Reserve 1 1/2 cups water; drain pasta.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Swirl in oil. Add anchovies and garlic; cook, stirring, just until anchovies break down and garlic turns golden, about 30 seconds. Add zucchini; season with salt and pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until zucchini is very tender, about 5 minutes. Add pasta and 1 cup reserved pasta water. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced and slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.
Remove from heat; stir in cheese and mint. Add more pasta water if needed, a few tablespoons at a time, until sauce evenly coats pasta. Serve, drizzled with oil and sprinkled with more mint, pepper flakes, and cheese.