Pressed Chicken With Okra Succotash
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Bryan Gardner
- 1 whole chicken (about 3 1/2 pounds), cut into 10 pieces
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces okra, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 8 ounces frozen lima beans, thawed and drained
- 2 ears corn, kernels cut from cob (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped, plus more for serving
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Swirl in 1 tablespoon oil. Add chicken, skin-side down. Top with a parchment round; weight with another heavy skillet and canned goods. Cook until golden on skin side, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Flip chicken; cook (with parchment and weighted skillet) until a thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh (without touching bone) registers 165 degrees, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate, reserving pan juices.
Return skillet to medium-high heat. Swirl in remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Add okra, beans, corn, bell pepper, and onion; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until vegetables are golden in spots, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar, then basil. Serve chicken with succotash, pan juices, and more basil leaves.