1 of 10
No matter the household task -- gardening, crafting, cooking, grooming -- there’s a pair of scissors for the job. Here are the best tools to reach for again and again.
2 of 10
The steel snips are made for cutting bonsai branches, but they’re also well-suited to flower arranging and light pruning tasks.
Okubo bonsai shears (#N-8005), by Genzo Hamono, $38, hidatool.com
3 of 10
These are comfortable and efficient for everyday use as well as crafting. Designate separate ones for paper and fabric.
All-purpose scissors, by Martha Stewart Crafts, $20, michaels.com
4 of 10
Inspired by paper shredders, these add fringe to paper flowers and other crafts.
Fringe scissors, by Martha Stewart Crafts, $13, michaels.com
5 of 10
Their zigzag cut keeps fabric edges from fraying and also creates a nice pattern.
Pinking shears scissors, by Gingher, $56, joann.com
6 of 10
Cut out tiny shapes, snip into the narrowest corners, or trim thread ends with these handy scissors.
Precision scissors, by Martha Stewart Crafts, $18, michaels.com
7 of 10
This durable pair has a small spring that assists opening and closing, minimizing hand fatigue when you’re cutting through multiple fabric layers.
Knife-edge spring-action dressmaker's shears, by Gingher, $56, joann.com
8 of 10
You can handle kitchen tasks large (sectioning a chicken) and small (snipping herbs) with these. Plus, they come apart for thorough cleaning.
Pull-apart shears, by Wustof, $30, williams-sonoma.com
9 of 10
Rounded tips protect noses and ears during grooming.
Nasal scissors with rounded safety tips (similar to shown), by Col. Conk, $20, westcoastshaving.com
10 of 10
Pesky hangnails are gone in one painless snip, thanks to these precision cutters.
You Just Viewed
Best Scissors for Every Household Task: A Cut AboveReplay
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- The Barest Simmer
- Decorate with Brass
- A Blueprint for Color
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love
- Make-Ahead Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas