Zucchini-Applesauce Chocolate-Chip Loaf
You can also bake all the batter in one large, 5-by-10-inch loaf pan for 1 hour, 5 minutes.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 4 mini loaves
Photography: Con Poulos
Source: Martha Stewart Living
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup spelt flour, such as Bob's Red Mill
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup safflower oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 cups grated zucchini (from 1 large zucchini)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (about 3/4 cup)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat four 3-by-5 1/2-inch loaf pans with cooking spray. Line each with parchment, leaving 2 inches of overhang on long sides. Spray parchment.
Whisk together flours, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, applesauce, sugar, zucchini, and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture until combined. Stir in chocolate.
Divide batter evenly among prepared pans, filling each three-quarters full (about 1 1/2 cups a pan). Bake until a tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Let loaves cool completely on wire racks before removing from pans. Loaves can be stored at room temperature up to 2 days.