The frosting for these cupcakes is tinted a pretty pale shade of pink with pureed raspberries (not food coloring), which also adds flavor.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 14
Photography: Con Poulos
Source: Martha Stewart Living
- 1 3/4 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest, plus 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- Raspberry Frosting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, beat butter, sugar, and lemon zest on medium speed until well combined, about 3 minutes. Beat in lemon juice, vanilla, and egg. Add flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with 2 additions of yogurt, beating until just combined (do not overmix).
Divide batter evenly among paper-lined standard muffin tins, filling each cup three-quarters full. Bake until golden and a tester inserted in centers comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool completely in tins on wire racks before removing. Cupcakes can be stored at room temperature up to 2 days before spreading about 2 tablespoons frosting on each.