1 of 7
The Stuck-at-Home Stretch
Parents, we hear you: Three months is a long time to fill with just pool trips and bike rides. Stop summer doldrums before they start with these engaging, educational ideas.
The embroidery kit gets modern appeal in bright colors and streamlined shapes. You’ll be glad to see them glued to this screen.
Miniature Rhino, $20
3 of 7
Help little hands learn baking ratios with a gluten-free mix that can be tweaked to turn out treats from brownies to devil’s food cake.
4 of 7
Here's a DIY that keeps the fun coming long after the last stitch is sewn. These little lamb finger puppets have all the makings of YouTube stardom -- or at least a one-night-only dinner table show.
Purl Soho, $40
5 of 7
Dig into late-summer gardening with an heirloom seed starter tray. Act now, and you'll have plenty of time to enjoy them before the frost.
Hudson Valley Seed Library, $19.75
6 of 7
Fun Beyond the Sun
How about a craft to teach them the virtues of planning ahead? Perfect their purling techniques now, and they’ll be experts by sweater season.
Purl Soho, $62
7 of 7
First, though, get your fill of summer classics -- like a backyard campout complete with extra-fancy s’mores.
Ticket Chocolate, $22.99
You Just Viewed
Clever Ideas to Keep Kids Sharp (and Busy) on Summer VacationReplay
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas
- A Blueprint for Color
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains
- Make-Ahead Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love
- The Barest Simmer
- Decorate with Brass
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold