- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Photography: Jonathan Lovekin
Source: Martha Stewart Living
- 1 brisket, about 3 1/2 pounds
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch carrots (about 7), peeled and cut on the bias into 2-inch pieces
- 1 onion, peeled and cut lengthwise into 8 wedges
- 3/4 cup dried figs, preferably Mission or Turkish (about 9 ounces), halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, preferably Turkish (about 3 ounces)
- 5 sprigs thyme
- 2 tablespoons harissa paste
- Rustic bread, for serving (optional)
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
Season brisket generously with salt and pepper; place in a slow cooker. Scatter carrots, onion, figs, apricots, and thyme evenly over and around brisket. Stir harissa into broth; pour mixture over brisket. Cover and cook on high until brisket is tender, 4 1/2 to 5 hours.
Remove thyme. Transfer brisket to a cutting board and let rest 15 minutes, then slice thinly against grain. Arrange slices on a platter, spoon vegetables and fruits evenly around them, and drizzle with some of pan juices. Serve with bread and remaining juices on the side.