Hot-Crab and Pimiento-Cheese Spread
This irresistible spread is substantial and hearty: Offer a knife for slathering it onto cut vegetables.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Photography: Lennart Weibull
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 6 ounces extra-sharp yellow cheddar cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 8 ounces crab meat, picked over
- 1/4 cup chopped pimiento (from a 4-ounce jar)
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions (from about 3 scallions)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Hot sauce
- 1 1/2 cups torn rustic bread (from 1 loaf, crust trimmed)
- Endive leaves, cucumber spears, and celery sticks, for serving
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mash cream cheese in a bowl until very soft. Add cheddar and 1/2 cup mayonnaise and stir to combine. Stir in crab, pimiento, scallions, lemon juice, salt, and hot sauce to taste. Spoon mixture into two 14-ounce baking dishes, dividing evenly.
Stir together torn bread and remaining 2 tablespoons mayonnaise. Top spread with bread mixture, dividing evenly. Bake on a baking sheet until golden brown and bubbling, about 25 minutes. Serve immediately with vegetables.