Grill any extra eggplant slices and use them for making dips or spreads (such as baba ghanoush), or add them to salads.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 4
Photography: David Malosh
- 4 slices eggplant, each about 1 inch thick, cut crosswise from thickest part of 1 large eggplant
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 1/4 pound mozzarella, cut into 4 slices
- 4 brioche buns, preferably with sesame seeds, halved
- 4 small leaves Bibb or Boston lettuce
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves
Preheat grill to medium-high. Brush eggplant and onion liberally with oil; season generously with salt and pepper. Brush grates with oil. Grill onion, flipping once, until softened and lightly marked in spots, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and toss with vinegar.
Grill eggplant slices until just tender on one side, about 5 minutes. Flip and top each with cheese; cook until eggplant is tender and cheese is melted, about 5 minutes more.
Meanwhile, grill rolls until lightly marked. Sandwich lettuce, eggplant, onion, and basil with rolls. Serve immediately.