1 of 9
At her family’s centuries-old home in bucolic New Hampshire, floral designer Amy Merrick arranges bouquets that feel artfully composed yet wonderfully untamed.
Merrick makes her way down a mown path to the house.Amy Merrick's Top Five Tips for Arranging Flowers
2 of 9
Mix and Mingle
Tended gardens and wild fields alike at Merrick’s family home contribute to her whimsical arrangements, like this one with zinnias, black raspberries, foxgloves, campanulas, cosmos, and hosta.
3 of 9
The Cutting Room
This bright kitchen -- one of two in the house -- serves as a staging room for Merrick’s flowers. Her family’s accumulation of vases, teapots, and pitchers holds a variety of the property’s offerings.
4 of 9
“I always cut flowers early in the morning,” says Merrick. “It’s much better to harvest when everything is hydrated from the dew.”
5 of 9
Her summer bounty includes echinaceas, zinnias, lilies, and alliums.
6 of 9
“I love the continuity of flowers on the mantels, at the end of the hall, and on all the bedside tables,” says Merrick of this bouquet of wild grasses, lilies, and black-eyed Susans all gathered from the property.
7 of 9
A perfect picnic spot under an apple tree at Elmwood.
8 of 9
Loose and Lovely
A voluminous and eye-catching still life of apple and crabapple branches rests in a guest bedroom.
9 of 9
A nonworking sink provides Merrick with a great work space where “my flower mess won’t get in anyone’s way,” she says. A nearby door leads directly outside, and “the light from that window is the best in the whole house. I take all of my photos in that spot.”Amy Merrick's Top Five Tips for Arranging Flowers
You'll Also Love
You Just Viewed
Wild at Heart: Inside Floral Designer Amy Merrick's New Hampshire Family HomeReplay
- The Barest Simmer
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas
- Make-Ahead Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions
- A Blueprint for Color
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho
- Decorate with Brass
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions