Healthy Morning Muffins
- Yield: Makes 10
Photography: Bryan Gardner
Source: Martha Bakes
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats, divided
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 3 cups shredded carrots (about 8 carrots)
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with 10 paper liners.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, and salt until there are no lumps. Stir in 1 3/4 cups oats and raisins. Add oil, eggs, milk, carrots, and banana, and stir until blended, being careful to not overmix.
Fill each muffin cup with 3/4 cup batter. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup oats over muffins. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Serve muffins warm or at room temperature.