1 of 8
With no pastry-making to contend with and zero baking necessary, this berry-filled English dessert is a delight to make on a hot summer day. Here's how to do it, step-by-step.Get the Summer Pudding Recipe
2 of 8
Line the Bowl
With no pastry-making to contend with and zero baking necessary, this berry-filled English dessert is a delight to make on a hot summer day. Here's how to do it, step-by-step.
Line the bottom of a 2- to 2 1/2-quart bowl with bread, tearing bread as necessary to completely cover the bottom without overlapping. Halve the bread slices lengthwise. Line sides of bowl with overlapping bread slices (reserve some for the top); trim bread to make it flush with top of bowl.
3 of 8
Combine berries, sugar, cinnamon, and 1/4 cup water in a large saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, gently stirring a few times, just until berries start to soften and currants begin to burst and release their juices. Do not let mixture boil. Remove from heat. Let cool 10 minutes, then ladle or pour berry mixture into bowl.
4 of 8
Cover Berries with Bread
Cover berries with a single layer of remaining bread slices.
5 of 8
Fill in Any Gaps
Tear bread as necessary to fill in any gaps.
6 of 8
Weight the Pudding
Place a round dish or pan slightly smaller than the diameter of the bowl on top of bread, and press down on plate until juices rise to surface. Place a heavy can or other weight on top of plate. Transfer to refrigerator and let chill at least 12 hours and up to one day.
7 of 8
Remove the Weight and Plate
Remove weighted plate from basin. Run a thin knife around edge between bread and bowl.
You Just Viewed
Summer Pudding 101Replay
- The Barest Simmer
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter
- A Blueprint for Color
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- Layer Your Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains
- Decorate with Brass