1 of 9
Hydrangea macrophylla ‘Pistachio’ is a compact, reblooming mophead with five-inch scarlet-and-green flowers that appear from spring into fall on three-by-five-foot shrubs.
2 of 9
Growing up to 10 feet tall with fuzzy leaves that invite touch, H. aspera ‘Sam MacDonald’ produces dark-lilac and soft-pink lacecaps in summer.
3 of 9
Among white lacecaps, H. macrophylla ‘Lanarth White,’ which blooms from summer to fall, is especially tolerant of poor soil, coastal conditions, and shade.
4 of 9
H. quercifolia ‘Snowflake’ reaches 8 by 10 feet, with large double-white summer flowers that fade to pink before leaves turn red and purple in autumn.
5 of 9
Swiss lacecap H. macrophylla ‘Nightingale’ blooms from summer to fall -- deep blue in acidic soil, pinker in alkaline ground.
6 of 9
The new leaves of H. serrata ‘Kiyosumi,’ a Japanese selection, are rosy maroon; the summer lacecaps are edged in pink.
7 of 9
H. macrophylla ‘Izu-nohana,’ another Japanese lacecap, features striking pointed summer blooms with double petals in pink to blue, depending on soil acidity.
8 of 9
Opening white, pale green, or pink in June, the small mopheads of H. serrata ‘Preziosa’ turn burgundy by fall, their maroon-stemmed leaves darkening with them.
9 of 9
In keeping with its fuzzy, midgreen foliage, H. aspera ‘Kawakamii’ has unusually fringed lacecap flowers in dusty pink, violet, and white from summer to autumn.
You'll Also Love
You Just Viewed
Breathtaking Summer HydrangeasReplay
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold
- Decorate with Brass
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- Make-Ahead Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas
- The Barest Simmer
- A Blueprint for Color
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter