1 of 5
A blue-and-white color scheme is crisp and unfussy. Mix in a red accent or two for an Independence Day party, then let the colors convey a nautical vibe for the rest of the summer. (When not in use, the lamps can be disassembled and nested, the stools stacked, and the table can be collapsed and stored against a garage or shed wall.)
2 of 5
Inverted-Basket Pendant Light
At the center of the basket bottom, cut through one or two slats with a craft knife. Slide the plug of the cord through. With a screw punch, create a hole in the center of a heavy-duty felt furniture disk, then cut a radial slit with the craft knife. Place the disk above the cord’s socket. To hang outdoors, loop the cord over a branch and plug it in.
Hojdare basket, 19 5/8", $10; and Hemma cord set, $5; ikea.com
Feltgard heavy-duty furniture pads, by Shepherd, 1 1/2", $4 for 24; homedepot.com
Screw punch, by Martha Stewart Crafts, $25; michaels.com
3 of 5
Painted Canvas Place Mats
Cut a heavyweight canvas drop cloth into 13-by-18-inch rectangles. Squeeze craft paint onto a paper plate (we used five parts Indigo to one part Deep Sea). With a brush, paint a rectangle on the canvas, leaving a 1- or 2-inch border. Work in broad, loose strokes. Let dry.
4 of 5
Sawhorse Dining Table
Dilute white latex house paint with water (about two parts water to one part paint). Paint the top and four sides of an 80-by-30-inch door. Let dry. With a handsaw, cut two 36-inch pieces of 2-by-4, then slide each piece into the clamp top of a sawhorse. Rest the door over the sawhorses.
5 of 5
Before assembling each stool, trace the seat onto the fabric, adding 1 1/2 inches all the way around, and cut it out. Brush decoupage finish all over the seat’s top and rim. Lay the fabric over the seat top, and press away wrinkles and bubbles. Brush more decoupage finish onto the fabric, then smooth it over the rim. Let dry, and flip it fabric-side down. Tuck excess fabric under the rim; add more decoupage finish if needed.
You Just Viewed
Shades of Blue: Summer Party DecorationsReplay
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter
- Make-Ahead Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions
- Decorate with Brass
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold
- A Blueprint for Color
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas
- The Barest Simmer
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions