Soba Salad with Grilled Eggplant and Tomato
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Photography: Marcus Nilsson
Source: Martha Stewart Living
- 1 medium eggplant, cut lengthwise into 1-inch slices
- Coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 medium tomato, halved
- 8 ounces soba noodles
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 1 to 2 lemons)
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
Preheat grill for direct heat. Sprinkle eggplant slices generously with salt in a bowl. Let stand 30 minutes; rinse and pat dry.
Liberally brush cut sides of eggplant and both sides of tomato with safflower oil. Grill, turning occasionally, until tender, about 4 minutes a side. Transfer to a cutting board; when cool enough to handle, cut into 1-inch pieces.
Meanwhile, cook soba noodles in a pot of boiling water until al dente, according to package directions. Drain, then run under cold water. Shake dry.
Combine eggplant, tomato, soba noodles, scallions, soy sauce, lemon juice, safflower oil, and sesame oil in a bowl. Season with salt. Refrigerate 1 hour. Stir in cilantro just before serving.