- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Photography: Marcus Nilsson
Source: Martha Stewart Living
- 2 strips bacon (about 2 ounces), finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 5 ounces shallots, minced (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 4 pounds littleneck clams (about 30)
- 1 thyme sprig
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
Cook bacon in a medium stockpot over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until light golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in butter until melted. Add shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add wine; cook, stirring, until almost no liquid remains, about 45 seconds.
Place clams and 2 cups water in a large pot over high heat; cook, covered, until clams open, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove clams, strain liquid, and add enough water to equal 4 cups; use as stock. When clams are cool enough to handle, remove from shells and chop.
Add potatoes, stock, and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook until potatoes are tender but not falling apart, 8 to 10 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high; and stir in clams and cream. Heat 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper; serve immediately.