1 of 14
Summer is almost upon us, and that means it's time to fire up the grill and move the party outside. Whether you're hanging out with family or hosting a big crowd, here's how to throw a memorable backyard bash.
First, determine how much time you have and make a list and timeline. This will help you figure out what you can make and and what you should buy -- plus what you can do ahead of time versus what you should do the day of.
2 of 14
Plan the Menu
After you've determined how much time you have, decide on your menu.
Start with any appetizers you'd like to serve, then move on to the main course and sides, and last (but certainly not least), choose a cocktail and dessert to serve.
4 of 14
Fire Up the Grill
Please the whole crowd with one of these delicious grilled recipes.
5 of 14
6 of 14
Festive decorations create a beautiful backdrop for outdoor soiree. Hang these flags from tables or in between trees around the yard.
7 of 14
Mix and match the designs of these paper chain links for a more lively look.
9 of 14
Set out one or more of these for guests to serve themselves when they need a thirst quencher.
11 of 14
For the Kids
These pinwheels are fun to put together and perfect for keeping little hands busy.
13 of 14
These glasses may look like elegant glassware, but they're really melamine, making them the perfect addition to an outdoor get-together.
Set the table with these or add them to your buffet or bar table, and invite guests to help themselves.
14 of 14
The Perfect Outdoor Setup
Set up your backyard for entertaining success with the Charlottetown Natural All-Weather Wicker 7-Piece Dining Room Set.
You'll Also Love
You Just Viewed
Everything You Need to Host a Grilling Get-TogetherReplay
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- Decorate with Brass
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains
- A Blueprint for Color
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions
- The Barest Simmer
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho
- Layer Your Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love