- Yield: Makes 4
Photography: Bryan Gardner
Source: Martha Bakes
- 11 cups sifted all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 ounces cake yeast or 3 packages active dry yeast
- 2 cups milk, warmed
- 1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, more for bowl and brushing
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 15 ounces golden raisins, soaked in 1/2 cup orange juice
- 10 ounces currants, soaked in 1/2 cup cognac
- 1/4 pound chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 pound diced candied citron
- 1/4 pound diced candied orange peel
- 10 ounces blanched almonds, coarsely chopped
- Grated zest of 2 lemons
- 14 ounces marzipan, quartered
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, for brushing cakes
- Superfine sugar, for dusting
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, mace, nutmeg, and yeast. Stir in warm milk, 1 1/4 cups melted butter and 1/2 cup warm water. Add eggs and stir to combine. Turn dough out onto a floured surface, and knead until fairly smooth.
Add the dried fruits, candied fruits, almonds, and lemon zest to the dough and continue kneading on a floured board for about 10 minutes. If dough is sticky, knead in more flour.
Place dough in buttered bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let dough rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, 1 to 2 hours.
Roll each portion of marzipan into a 12-inch log. Punch down dough and cut into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 12-by-8-inch rectangle. Brush with melted butter to coat, place marzipan log in center of dough and fold one long side to the center then fold the other long side over first side, overlapping it by 1 inch.
Turn loaves over, taper the ends, and place on parchment-lined baking sheets. Cover loaves with plastic wrap and let rise again in a warm place, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake stollen until golden brown, about 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven. Brush all over with room temperature butter and sprinkle with superfine sugar to cover. Let cool completely before serving.