Chilled Spanish-Style Tomato Soup
Don't overlook the importance of the accompaniments. Eggs, tuna, cured meats, and other protein-rich items make the otherwise light-bodied soup a satisfying meal. Set everything out in separate dishes, and let everyone pick and choose among the offerings.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
- 2 1/2 pounds tomatoes
- 1 small clove garlic, smashed
- 3 slices white sandwich bread, torn into 2-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup blanched almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Assorted accompaniments, such as chopped hard-cooked eggs, tuna in olive oil, sliced ham or prosciutto, Spanish olives, Marcona almonds, manchego cheese, and crackers
Make a 1/4-inch-deep X in bottom of each tomato with the tip of a paring knife, then core. In a large pot of boiling water, blanch tomatoes 30 seconds. Transfer to a large bowl of ice water and let stand until cool. Drain; peel and quarter tomatoes.
Transfer tomatoes to a blender along with garlic, bread, almonds, vinegar, and oil. Puree until smooth, about 1 minute; season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 1 hour and up to 2 days. Serve soup with accompaniments.