Grilled Shrimp and Grits with Chorizo and Salsa de Arbol
- Total Time:
- Servings: 8
Photography: Matthew Williams
Source: Martha Stewart Living
- 4 cups whole milk
- Coarse salt
- 2 cups white hominy grits (not quick-cooking)
- 8 ounces Cotija cheese, crumbled
- 12 ounces fresh chorizo, removed from casings
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp (preferably Gulf), peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Cilantro sprigs, for serving
- Salsa de Arbol, for serving
Preheat grill to medium-high. Bring milk and 4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in 2 1/2 teaspoons salt. Slowly add grits, whisking constantly. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thick and creamy, about 15 minutes. Stir in cheese. Remove from heat; cover to keep warm.
Meanwhile, cook chorizo in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, stirring and breaking into small pieces, until browned and crisp in spots, about 5 minutes. Transfer chorizo and rendered oil to a bowl; cover to keep warm.
Toss shrimp with olive oil and season generously with salt. Grill, flipping once, until lightly charred in spots and opaque, 4 to 5 minutes.
Stir grits, adding hot water a few tablespoons at a time if needed to make smooth again. Divide grits, chorizo (use a slotted spoon), and shrimp among bowls; drizzle with chorizo oil, top with cilantro, and serve with salsa.