- Yield: Makes about 3 dozen
Photography: Bryan Gardner
Source: Martha Bakes
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for pans
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter and flour madeleine pans carefully. Melt butter and let it cool.
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk eggs, sugar and salt together until thick, about 8 minutes. Add vanilla and lemon zest. Using a rubber spatula, fold in flour, rapidly but gently. Fold in butter gently, but make sure it does not settle to bottom. Quickly spoon mixture into prepared madeleine pans. Bake until golden, about 7 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool on racks.