Creamy chowder with hunks of fresh salmon and vegetables makes for a warm and hearty meal.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Photography: Christopher Baker
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 leek, white and pale-green parts only, halved lengthwise, thinly sliced, and rinsed well
- 1 red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 3 small Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 carrots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 6 cups store-bought low-sodium or Homemade Fish Stock
- 12 ounces skinless salmon, cut into 3/4-inch-cubes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
Heat butter in a medium stockpot over medium-low heat. Cook leek and red onion until soft, 6 to 8 minutes. Season with 1 teaspoon salt. Stir in potatoes and carrots. Add stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer until potatoes are almost tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
Add salmon, and simmer until opaque, about 3 minutes. Stir in cream to heat through. Stir in dill, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon white pepper.