Oven-Baked French Toast
- Yield: Makes 12
Photography: Bryan Gardner
- 6 large eggs
- 2 1/2 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur, such as Grand Marnier
- 1 tablespoon sanding sugar, plus more for serving
- Coarse salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest plus 2 tablespoons juice
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 loaf brioche (20 ounces), cut into 1/2-inch slices
- Butter, for serving
- Pure maple syrup, for serving
Preheat oven to 375 degrees with rack in the middle of the oven. In a large bowl, beat eggs with a fork. Beat in liqueur, sugar, large pinch of salt, and orange zest and juice. Add milk and beat until combined.
Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with nonstick baking mats. Gently dip brioche, one slice at a time, into egg mixture to coat, placing 6 slices on each baking sheet. Transfer to oven and bake for 12 minutes. Increase oven temperature to broil. Cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat with second baking sheet. Serve with butter and sugar or maple syrup.