1 of 6
Select shades that are neighbors on the color wheel for a harmonious balance. Wave Hill’s border of violet--blues, purples, and magentas -- is a prime example of designing with similar colors. Adding silver plants to the palette further accents the cool hues. Here, an old Japanese maple, Acer palmatum dissectum, complements the plum-themed bed. In the summer, it bursts with Salvia pratensis, Papaver somniferum ‘Lauren’s Grape,’ and a ‘Veilchenblau’ rose, which climbs one of the large cedar tripods.
2 of 6
With lovely fuchsia petals and blue-gray foliage, Papaver somniferum ‘Lauren’s Grape’ is a beautiful annual that will seed itself in the garden.
3 of 6
The flowers of late-blooming Clematis ‘Perle d’Azur’ can span four inches wide. Plant in full sun to part shade, where this vine can climb 10 to 15 feet.
4 of 6
A great ground cover, Stachys byzantine ‘Helen Von Stein’ features soft silver, velvety leaves. It also looks beautiful tucked into flower arrangements.
5 of 6
The pale-blue flowers of this showy annual (Nigella damascena) are surrounded by lacy foliage in late spring and summer. Attractive seedheads follow in autumn.
6 of 6
This heirloom allium variety (c. 1830) puts forth small cornflower blue, spherical blooms each June. Alliums are deer resistant and easy to grow. Plant them in the fall in full sun and in well-drained soil.
You Just Viewed
Garden Palette: Blue, Fuchsia, Lavender, & SilverReplay
- Layer Your Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- A Blueprint for Color
- Decorate with Brass
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold
- The Barest Simmer
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter