Red-Bean Burgers with Avocado and Lime
For smaller appetites, form the bean mixture into six patties. The patties can be prepared through step 1 a day ahead, placed on a parchment-lined baking sheet, covered, and kept in the refrigerator.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 4
Photography: Alpha Smoot
Source: Martha Stewart Living
- 2 cans (15.5 ounces each) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Hamburger buns, romaine-lettuce leaves, sliced avocado, sliced red onion, sour cream, and lime wedges, for serving
Lightly mash beans in a large bowl, leaving some whole. Add carrot, chili powder, oregano, breadcrumbs, and eggs. Season generously with salt and pepper; stir until thoroughly combined. Divide mixture into 4 portions and form into patties.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add patties and cook, undisturbed, until bottom forms a browned crust and most of oil is absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes. Flip patties and add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan, swirling to coat bottom. Cook, undisturbed, until browned on other side and heated through, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve on buns with accompaniments.