1 of 6
These six devices make your home more energy-efficient -- even when you’re not there.
Programming your thermostat can be intimidating. Nest’s innovative version tracks your daily routine and programs itself!
Learning thermostat, $249, homedepot.com
2 of 6
Smart Power Strip
Plug in your TV, DVD player, gaming system, and other companion electronics. This power strip senses when you’re done using the TV and automatically shuts off the peripherals.
Ten-outlet home-office surge protector, by Philips, $50, amazon.com
3 of 6
Remote Power Strip
Quirky’s clever surge protector features outlets that can be controlled remotely with a smartphone and a design that bends to fit oversize adapters and chargers.
Wink Pivot Power Genius surge protector, $60, homedepot.com
4 of 6
With the touch of a button on your smartphone, you can control whatever’s connected to this outlet.
WeMo switch, $50, belkin.com
5 of 6
Lutron’s light switch can tell not only when a room is occupied, but also when it’s dark enough to necessitate turning on the light.
Maestro CL single-pole/multilocation motion-sensor occupancy light switch and dimmer, in White, $54, amazon.com
6 of 6
To figure out the total vampire power drain in your household, plug your various devices into a power strip along with this watt meter, and leave them on standby mode.
Kill-a-Watt electricity monitor, $20, homedepot.com
You Just Viewed
Energy-Efficient Devices for the HomeReplay
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- A Blueprint for Color
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions
- Decorate with Brass
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold
- The Barest Simmer
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love
- Layer Your Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways