1 of 8
Making the French almond meringue cookies called macarons at home requires precision, but once you master the technique -- which our step-by-step guide will help with -- it's not difficult, and there are endless flavors to enjoy.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in lower third. Place almonds in a food processor; process until as fine as possible, about 1 minute. Add confectioners' sugar; process until combined, about 1 minute.Get the French Macarons Basic Recipe
2 of 8
Sift Dry Ingredients
Pass almond mixture through a fine-mesh sieve. Transfer solids in sieve to food processor; grind and sift again, pressing down on clumps. Repeat until less than 2 tablespoons of solids remains in sieve.
3 of 8
Whip Egg Whites
Whisk egg whites and granulated sugar by hand to combine. Beat on medium speed (4 on a KitchenAid) 2 minutes. Increase speed to medium-high (6) and beat 2 minutes. Then beat on high (8) 2 minutes more.
4 of 8
The beaten egg whites will hold stiff, glossy peaks when you lift the whisk out of the bowl. Add flavoring and food coloring, if desired, and beat on highest speed 30 seconds.
5 of 8
Fold in Almond Mixture
Add dry ingredients all at once. Fold with a spatula from bottom of bowl upward, then press flat side of spatula firmly through middle of mixture. Repeat just until batter flows like lava, 35 to 40 complete strokes.
6 of 8
Prepare to Pipe
Rest a pastry bag fitted with a 3/8-inch round tip (Ateco #804) inside a glass. Transfer batter to bag; secure top. Dab some batter remaining in bowl onto corners of 2 heavy baking sheets; line with parchment.
7 of 8
With piping tip 1/2 inch above sheet, pipe batter into a 3/4-inch round, then swirl tip off to one side. Repeat, spacing rounds 1 inch apart. Tap sheets firmly against counter 2 or 3 times to release air bubbles.
You Just Viewed
French Macarons 101Replay
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains
- Decorate with Brass
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions
- A Blueprint for Color
- The Barest Simmer
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- Make-Ahead Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas