1 of 11
In the perennial quest for longevity, there are no miracle cures. But what’s on your plate matters more than you think. Here are 10 foods to put in your pantry.
Greens contain folate, calcium, and other nutrients that support bone health, protect against cognitive decline, and help prevent age-related eye problems. Diets high in cruciferous veggies, such as broccoli and cabbage, help reduce risk of memory loss and cancer.
2 of 11
3 of 11
4 of 11
Rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory monounsaturated fat, olive oil figures prominently in the Mediterranean diet. It may explain the lower rates of cardiovascular disease, cancer, and age-related cognitive decline in people who eat this way.
5 of 11
6 of 11
7 of 11
Grapes contain an antioxidant called resveratrol, which has been shown to extend the lives of lab animals. Resveratrol has anti-inflammatory and anticoagulant properties, which may explain why red wine and purple grape juice also help promote heart health.
8 of 11
9 of 11
10 of 11
Herbs and Spices
Spices such as turmeric and ginger contain anti-inflammatory compounds that might reduce the risk of age-related conditions such as Alzheimer’s disease. The antioxidant substances in garlic and onions can protect against heart disease and cancer; cinnamon may help lower blood sugar.
11 of 11
Martha Stewart Essentials
Along with a healthy diet, nourish and protect every cell of the body with Martha Stewart Essentials Graceful Aging supplement. The unique combination of herbs, vitamins, and minerals helps defend cells from daily exposure to age-related free radicals. And Martha Stewart Essentials were designed specifically for women's needs.
You Just Viewed
10 Best Foods for Healthy LivingReplay
- Layer Your Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains
- The Barest Simmer
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- A Blueprint for Color
- Decorate with Brass