1 of 9
By Martha Stewart
Two birthdays -- granddaughter Jude’s second and grandson Truman’s first -- mean double the fun, especially when everyone’s favorite friendly red monster shows up as a special guest.
2 of 9The moment my granddaughter saw Elmo when she was a baby, it was love at first sight. All the children at the party were delighted to see him—and I was too!
3 of 9
Red party goods -- including large paper poms suspended from the ceiling -- made it a cinch to set a buffet that fit the Elmo theme. Clip art added more smiles to the room.
4 of 9
The Muppet himself can’t attend every party, but decorations and details like these will make it feel like he’s there.
A clip-art Elmo gets carried away. (He is attached to the wall and the balloon strings with double-sided tape.) More clip-art faces are taped to ribbon for a garland, and balloons bob around the room.
5 of 9
Alexis made the Elmo gelatins using organic apple, cranberry, blueberry, apricot, and coconut juices. The morning of the party, she cut all the shapes from slabs of jelly she had made in large baking sheets and assembled the faces.
6 of 9
Cakemaker extraordinaire Ron Ben-Israel (weddingcakes.com) made this adorable dessert with several layers of vanilla cake, covered first in red fondant and then in buttercream “fur” (piped with a Wilton tip #233). It wasn’t served to the children, but Alexis said it was utterly delicious, and she, Kevin Sharkey, and other adult friends devoured it.
7 of 9
Jicama, carrots, cheese, and radishes were carefully cut into shapes with cookie cutters and served alongside red peppers.
9 of 9
Favors with Flavor
Cute cookies by Dani Fiori of Sweet Dani B (sweetdanib.com) went home in the favor bags.
You'll Also Love
You Just Viewed
Celebrating with Elmo: Birthday PartyReplay
- Studio Visit: Purl Soho
- All Scooped Up: The 10 Best Ways to Eat Ice Cream in Winter
- Board Games: Kevin Sharkey's Cheeseboard Picks
- Real Page-Turners: Our Favorite Bookshelf Organizing Ideas
- Healthy and Delicious: Cooking with Whole Grains
- A Woodworking Couple's Labor of Love
- Layer Your Office Lunch: Five Days, Five Ways
- Our Food Editors' Food Resolutions
- New Year's Heave: Our 2014 Organizing Resolutions
- Home Decor Inspired by Color
- Decorate with Brass
- From the Shar-chives: Kevin Sharkey’s Most Beloved Valentine’s Day Ideas
- The Barest Simmer
- A Blueprint for Color
- Brass Jewelry Projects: All That Glitters Is Not Gold