Super Bowl parties usually mean delicious food and a fridge full of beer -- cocktails rarely make an appearance. While we can appreciate a cold brew, we like to mix things up for our guests and serve the Three and Out, our version of a spicy shandy (a classic beer and lemonade cocktail).
To make the Three and Out, we spike a local pilsner with craft American vodka, honey, and dried chiles, which all combine to elevate the traditional shandy to new heights. We like to use a pilsner with some flavor (like the one from the folks at the Brooklyn Brewery), but you can use any of the light beer you have in the fridge on game day.
The sweet and earthy honey helps to tame the heat of the dried chiles and adds a depth of flavor to the light and effervescent pilsner. The result: the perfect pairing for some spicy snacks and a tasty use for some of that surplus beer on Super Bowl Sunday!
The Three and Out
Makes two drinks
2 shots of vodka
2 shots of fresh lemon juice
1 shot of honey
1 dried chile pepper (split in half)
1) Add the vodka, lemon juice, honey, and chile pepper to a cocktail shaker.
2) Stir the ingredients in the bottom of the shaker until the honey is dissolved.
3) Add ice to above the level of the liquid, cap, and shake for 5 seconds.
4) Strain into a tall glass containing cubes of ice.
5) Fill the glass with pilsner beer and garnish with lemon slices and dried chiles.
Note: Contributor recipes are not tested by the Martha Stewart test kitchen.
Shop W&P Design products in the American Made Market, exclusively on eBay.