Stuffed Acorn Squash
Kale, onion and white beans are the base for this succulent squash dish.
- Servings: 2
Photography: Bryan Gardner
- 1 halved and seeded acorn squash
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 diced large onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/3 cup cooked white beans
- 1/3 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted hazelnuts, divided
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Brush squash with 1 teaspoon oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast cut side down until tender, about 30 minutes. Flip and set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until tender, about 6 minutes. Add sage, thyme, beans, quinoa, and kale. Cook, stirring, until greens wilt, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Divide stuffing between squash halves and roast until golden, 15 to 20 minutes.
For each serving, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon hazelnuts, drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil, and squeeze with lemon.