Red Lentil and Sweet Potato Stew
This is a hearty Indian-style stew without meat but chock full of protein.
- Servings: 4
Source: Whole Living, January/February 2013
- 2 tablespoons coconut or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 diced large onion
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 minced cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 peeled and diced sweet potatoes
- 1 diced (stemmed, seeded) red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cups rinsed red lentils
- 6 cups Cleansing Broth
- Chopped fresh cilantro
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook cumin, turmeric and curry powder until fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add onion with a few pinches salt, and cook, stirring, until tender, about 6 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, until tender, about 2 minutes. Add sweet potatoes and bell pepper and cook 1 minute.
Add lentils and cleansing broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until lentils are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Top with cilantro before serving.