French Lentil Salad
- Yield: Makes 2
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1 cup French green lentils, rinsed
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, roughly chopped (optional)
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup torn fresh herbs, such as flat-leaf parsley, tarragon, basil, and/or mint
In a medium saucepan, heat 1 Tbsp oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, and celery, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 6 minutes. Add lentils and cover with 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and season with salt and pepper. Let cool.
In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining oil, lemon juice, and pepper flakes. Season with salt. Add lentils, almonds (if using), cabbage, and herbs and toss to combine.