Creamy Broccoli Soup
- Yield: Makes 4
Source: Whole Living, January/February January/February 2013
- 1 Tbsp coconut or extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 cups Cleansing Broth
- 1 head broccoli, trimmed and chopped (6 cups)
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 avocado, chopped, plus more for garnish
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil. Add broccoli and cook, covered, until bright green and tender, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat, stir in spinach, and let cool slightly.
Transfer soup to blend and puree with avocado. Adjust seasoning. Garnish with avocado and a drizzle of olive oil.