Squash-Spiked Mashed Potatoes
Butternut squash lends a lush texture and sly sweetness to everyday mashed potatoes. A whisper of nutmeg finishes it off.
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 small butternut squash (2 pounds), peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 5-7 sprigs fresh thyme
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
Crumble blue cheese over the top; mix in browned butter.
In a large pot, cover potatoes, squash, and herbs with water. Season generously with salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 8 minutes. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking liquid, then drain and discard herbs.
Return vegetables to pot and mash with butter until smooth. Add cooking liquid to adjust consistency. Adjust seasoning and top with nutmeg.