Brussels Sprout Salad with Avocado and Pumpkin Seeds
No roasting pan necessary for these adorable cabbage cousins: Tossed with avocado and coated in a bright lemon-Dijon dressing, the tender brussels sprout leaves make a showstopping salad.
- Servings: 6
Photography: Ray Hom
Source: Whole Living, November 2012
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon (1 teaspoon) plus 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed, leaves separated
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 1 avocado, sliced
Whisk lemon zest and juice and mustard in a small bowl. Gradually add oil, whisking to emulsify, and season with salt and pepper.
Toss dressing with brussels sprout leaves and pumpkin seeds. Gently stir in avocado and adjust seasoning.
Brighten the salad by adding blood-orange segments and swapping toasted pecans for the pumpkin seeds; toss the salad with shaved fennel and celery root for heartiness.