Chestnut and Almond Pancakes with Sauteed Plums
This hearty breakfast dish happens to be gluten-free.
- Servings: 4
- Yield: Makes 10
Photography: Marcus Nilsson
Source: Whole Living, October 2012
- 1/2 cup superfine brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup chestnut flour
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon chia seeds, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt, plus a pinch for egg whites
- 2 large eggs, yolks and whites separated, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Sauteed Plums in Maple Syrup
In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, chia, and salt.
In another bowl, whisk together yolks, sugar, almond milk, oil, and vanilla and almond extracts.
Whisk yolk mixture into dry ingredients.
In a small bowl, whisk whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form, then gently fold into batter.
Warm butter in a cast-iron pan over medium heat. For each pancake, ladle in 1/4 cup batter and cook until bubbles appear in center and edges are set, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip and cook until golden brown, 2 minutes more. Serve with Sauteed Plums in Maple Syrup.