Lemon-Coconut Tofu Squares
Tofu does dessert: Combined with sugar, lemons, coconut oil, and whole wheat, it provides the basis for an airy, ethereal lemon square.
- Yield: Makes 9
Photography: MARIA ROBLEDO
Source: Whole Living, September 2012
For the Crust
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted, plus more for brushing
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
For the Filling
- 1/2 cup silken tofu
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons whole-wheat pastry flour
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Brush an 8-inch-square baking dish with oil, then line with parchment, leaving an overhang, and brush parchment with oil. Set aside.
Make the crust: Stir together 1/2 cup oil, sugar, vanilla, and salt. Add flour and stir until just combined. Press dough into prepared dish and bake until pale golden-brown, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the filling: Process tofu, sugar, lemon zest and juice, baking powder, and flour in a food processor until smooth. Pour onto baked crust and bake until set, 25 to 30 minutes more. Let cool completely, then dust with confectioners' sugar and cut into squares.