Grilled Tofu Sandwiches
Marinated in Sriracha, tofu takes on a hint of sweet chile. Quick-pickled carrots add acidity and crunch.
- Servings: 2
Source: Whole Living, September 2012
- 12 ounces extra-firm tofu, drained and sliced into 1/2-inch slabs
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
- 1 large carrot, thinly julienned
- Coarse salt
- Vegetable oil, for pan
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 2 6-inch baguette pieces, split
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro sprigs
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
Whisk together fish sauce, 1/4 cup vinegar, sugar, shallot, Sriracha, and ginger. Transfer tofu to a baking dish and top with marinade. Marinate at room temperature, 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, toss carrots with remaining vinegar. Season with salt and refrigerate.
Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Coat with vegetable oil and add tofu (reserve marinade). Grill, turning, until crisp and charred in spots, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Generously brush cut sides of baguette with olive oil. Grill until toasted and golden, about 1 minute. Top bread with grilled tofu, carrots, herbs, and a drizzle of reserved marinade.