Spiced Tofu with Wilted Spinach and Yogurt
- 12 oz firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- Coarse salt
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp cumin seed, crushed
- 1/2 tsp coriander seed, crushed
- 1/4 tsp mustard seed, crushed
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 lb fresh spinach, stemmed and chopped
- 1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
Golden cubes of tofu, sauteed with mustard and coriander seed, replace paneer cheese in this nod to the classic Indian dish.
In a large cast-iron skillet, heat 1 Tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Add tofu and cook, turning, until golden brown , about 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate and season with salt.
Heat remaining oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add ginger and spices and cook, stirring, until spices are toasted, about 1 minute. Add spinach and cook, stirring, until just wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in yogurt. Season with salt and stir in golden tofu. Serve with rice.