Swap in healthy quinoa and kidney beans for these patties that will have you feeling full and satisfied all day long.
- Servings: 6
Source: Whole Living, June 2012
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 carrot, finely grated
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons crumbled feta
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 egg whites, lightly whisked
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 whole-wheat buns, grilled
- Whole-grain mustard, for serving
- Grilled onions, for serving
- Radicchio, for serving
In a bowl, mash beans into a thick paste and mix in shallot, carrot, quinoa, parsley, feta, salt, and egg whites.
Form mixture into six patties and chill 30 minutes.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium-high heat, directly on grill grates or on stove top, and cook patties until golden (add remaining tablespoon oil if cooking in batches), 4 to 5 minutes per side.
Serve on buns with mustard, grilled onions, and radicchio.
For grilled onions, drizzle slices with oil, season with salt and pepper, and grill over medium-high heat, turning, until tender and charred, 6 to 8 minutes.