Sauteed Chicken with Spinach, Garlic, and Pine Nuts
Why relegate the wilted greens to the side? Here, dollops of tangy goat cheese and a handful of pine nuts conspire to make spinach the star of the show.
- Servings: 4
Photography: Johnny Miller
Source: Whole Living, June 2012
- 1 cup brown rice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Four (6-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded 1/2 inch thick
- Coarse salt
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Pinch of red-pepper flakes
- 1 bunch spinach, trimmed and rinsed (10 oz)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons fresh goat cheese
- 1/2 lemon
Cook rice according to package directions. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and saute in batches, adding another tablespoon oil, until golden brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Set aside.
Add remaining tablespoon oil, garlic, and pepper flakes to pan. Cook spinach in batches, stirring, until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Season with salt.
To serve, top chicken with spinach and sprinkle with pine nuts and dollops of goat cheese. Squeeze with lemon and serve with rice.
Make the most of garlic's prime time and keep a batch of roasted cloves on hand for smashing on bread or blending in vinaigrettes.