Asparagus with Breadcrumbs and Lemon Zest
Fresh spears don't need much beyond a hit of acid and a toasty crunch. (Simply snap off the stalks to trim.)
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed (about 1 pound)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup coarse breadcrumbs (from 2 slices whole-wheat bread pulsed in a food processor)
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle asparagus with oil, turning to coat, and season with salt and pepper. Roast, shaking sheet once, until asparagus is crisp-tender and tips are golden, 12 to 14 minutes.
Meanwhile, warm butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and stir until toasted. Season with salt and stir in lemon zest. To serve, top asparagus with breadcrumbs.
SourceWhole Living, May 2012