Parsley, Lemon, and Walnut Pesto on Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are in my seasonal repertoire this time of year, so I'm always on the lookout for new ways to enjoy them. When roasting, leave the skins on for greater nutrition (and better texture). High heat muddies the fresh flavors of the herbs and lemon zest in pesto, so top it on just before serving.
- 4 sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch wedges
- 7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped garlic (about 1 small clove)
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts, toasted
- Grated zest of 1 lemon, plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, toss sweet potatoes with 1 tablespoon oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast, turning once, until golden and tender, 23 to 25 minutes. Let cool slightly.
Meanwhile, pulse parsley, garlic, walnuts, zest, and lemon juice in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Drizzle remaining 6 tablespoons oil and process until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
Top roasted sweet potatoes with 2 tablespoons pesto.
SourceWhole Living, March 2012